Fire breaks out at Randolph Macon fraternity house
ASHLAND, VA (WTVR) – A fire broke out at the Theta Chi Fraternity House on College Avenue on Randolph-Macon College’s campus, according to a release on the school’s website.
It happened just after 1 a.m. this morning. All students inside were evacuated safely, and one was treated for smoke inhalation on the scene and released.
Fire crews from both Ashland and Hanover County responded quickly to the scene to extinguish the fire, and are currently working to assess the damage done.
What a tragedy. Please pray for Theta Chi and the entire campus of Randolph-Macon College. instagr.am/p/QB25a2EFUG/—
Jimmy MacElroy (@DaBird_IsDaWord) September 26, 2012
Sarah Nieburg (@SENieburg) September 26, 2012
Thanking the Lord for gettin everyone safe n outta that house tonight, & praying for all the Theta Chi brothers. Whole campus backin yall up—
Chris Hamilton (@TheGr8_Hambino) September 26, 2012
One of the worst nights of my life just happy everyone is okay #thetachi—
Will Topping (@freewilly454) September 26, 2012
Several nearby buildings were also evacuated, including Thomas Branch Residence Hall, Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority House, and Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity House as a precautionary measure. All students, save for the Theta Chi residents, were able to return to their buildings around 3:30 this morning.
In the release, R-MC president Robert R. Lindgren said, “Our primary concern is for the safety and well-being of our students displaced by the fire. We are relieved that there were no injuries that resulted. As always, we are grateful to the first responders in the Town of Ashland and Hanover County who do such tremendous work for our campus and community.”
The Theta Chi fraternity house is not owned by Randolph Macon College, But the school is working fraternity officials to address additional help needed for affected students.
Parents or students with questions should contact R-MC’s Dean of Students office at (804) 752-7266.Submit Your Photo