Worker in critical condition, West End homes lose power
HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – An investigator from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is looking into a morning incident in which a construction worker was shocked by 19,900 volts of electricity, according to an email from Henrico Fire Capt. James Mellon.
Mellon said the worker is in critical condition at the hospital.
He said fire crews were called to a home on Harborough Road, near Gayton and Pump Roads, around 9:40 Monday morning after a worker, in his mid-20′s, hit a power line while hanging siding. Mellon said the initial investigation revealed the man’s scaffold came in contact with the high power line.
More than 100 Dominion Virginia Power customers who live near the home lost power during and after the incident. Dominion crews re-routed power and electricity was restored to those homes around 12:30 p.m.