Gas fumes force patrons out of Colonial Heights library

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, Va. (WTVR) – Authorities said a gasoline spill outside of the public library in Colonial Heights forced an evacuation Friday.

Colonial Heights Deputy Fire Marshall Joe Boisseau Patrons said it happened at the library on 1000 Yacht Basin Drive after patrons complained of a gasoline smell inside the building.

CBS 6 News’ Wayne Covil reported authorities found some spilled gas outside, near the building’s HVAC system. As a result, gasoline vapors were carried into the building by the unit.

Officials said the air-conditioning system was shut off and that they are working to ventilate the building in an effort to get rid of the fumes.