CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WTVR)—A small fire at a retirement community in Midlothian sent one person to the hospital and caused some big inconvenience for residents who can’t return home tonight.
The fire department was called to the scene early Thursday evening at the Atlantic at Charter Colony retirement community.
Chief Robbie Dawson, Chesterfield Fire and EMS confirmed that more than 100 apartment units were evacuated in the age 55 and up community, located at 5500 Coalfield Road.
The fire began in an apartment on the third floor. Dawson said that the fire activated the building's sprinkler system, and put out most of the flames by the time they arrived.
One individual was transported to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries.
The scene was brought quickly under control, however 17 apartment units sustained water damage in the fire, and one sustained smoke and water damage. Six residents were allowed to move back into the damaged apartments, as of 10 p.m..
The rest of the building has no damage. The 12 displaced individuals will be placed in local hotels by the apartment management company, until the buildings are inhabitable again.
Dawson said that the cause of the fire is believed to be discarded smoking materials, which caught fire in a trash can.