Teen bitten in another reported Myrtle Beach shark attack
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WTVR)–Authorities said a teenager was taken to the hospital after being bitten on the foot in the ocean.
Myrtle Beach police Capt. David Knipes told the Charlotte Observer that the teen was standing in waist-deep water when his foot was bitten. The 16-year-old was transported to the hospital with minor injuries.
The teen was in the water at Sixth Avenue, which is four blocks away from where a boogie boarder was bitten by a shark at 7:45 p.m., on June 3. [Graphic: Shark attack at Myrtle Beach]
Last week four people were bitten at different locations at Myrtle Beach within a ten-minute time frame.
Capt. David Knipes of the Myrtle Beach Police said the city’s Beach Patrol tells him the number of bites are way up, reports SCNow staff.
Photos of the bites have been sent to researchers at the University of Florida to determine exactly what the source was of those attacks. Photos of this most recent attack will also be sent to the university.
A victim from last week, 16-year-old Jordon Garofalo from Canton, Ohio, said his doctor was pretty sure it was a shark because of the bite marks.
Garofalo told WMBF he was in a state of shock. “I never saw anything,” he said.” That’s why it took me by surprise when all of a sudden there was something latched on to my foot.”
If confirmed, this attack today would be the possibly seventh shark bite within a 60 mile radius, this month. Two have been confirmed, one in Myrtle Beach and one that occurred earlier Tuesday, at Ocean Isle Beach in North Carolina.
For complete coverage on recent shark attacks, click here.