When isolated strong storms are possible Sunday🌩️
When Alberto will make landfall🌀
TRACK RAIN: Use CBS 6 Interactive Radar

Grandmother killed on way to high school reunion

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HOPEWELL, Va. (WTVR)- A Richmond woman was killed crossing the street in Hopewell on Saturday.

Hopewell Police said they responded to the 1500 block of High Ave. for the report of an accident involving a pedestrian.

The victim, Janice Stith Jones, 64, of the 6500 block of Armfield Rd. in Richmond, had been crossing High Ave. to attend a high school reunion at the Sunlight Elks Lodge when she was struck in the northbound lanes of High Ave. by a vehicle that was traveling north.

Jones was taken to local John Randolph Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

According to family members, Jones graduated in 1967.

They said she had parked in a dirt parking lot across the street from the event and was crossing when she was struck by a passing car.

The male driver who hit Jones stopped immediately and stayed with her until she was transported to the hospital where she later died.

She left behind three children and two grandchildren who said they simply can't make sense of the tragic accident.

"It's just a shock to wake up and know she's not going to be there and then to look around for her," said her son Anthony Jones.

With just a week until Mother’s Day Jones struggles to understand how his family will survive without their matriarch.

"She did it by herself with three kids, worked two jobs and went to school so we could have a better life," he said.

The 64-year-old nurse had a career that lasted decades. Her children and grandchildren concur it was her deepest passion. Her latest job was as a psych nurse at Central State Hospital.

Several of her coworkers from the facility stopped by Sunday to pay their respects to the family.

"She was always bubbly and come in and see me and say hey young man," said one male coworker of Jones.

Family believe it was a fluke accident but they pain to imagine her last moments.

"Just thinking about my mom's body getting hit by a car, I'm at a loss for words about it," said Jones.

The loss kept family close to home and each other Sunday. Jones's grand-daughter now wears her grandmother’s nursing pendant around her neck. She claims it’s for a woman who helped everyone.

"That's my mom, that's my mom you know. I can't make sense of it so that's where the frustration is," said Jones.

Police contend the accident is still under investigation. No one has been charged with the incident and the Jones's family claims they won’t advocate any arrest or charges in the case.

They are grateful the driver stopped to help and believe there has been enough suffering already.