Bridge Work on 95 at Boulevard begins next week
Major bridge work in the heart of the city could slow you down beginning next week. Crews will move work to the Boulevard Bridge (mile marker 78) beginning Monday. Here are all the details from VDOT:
The I-95 southbound bridge over the exit ramp to Boulevard will be replaced next week as part of the I-95 Bridge Restoration project. This is the second of 11 structures to be replaced.
I-95 will be reduced to one travel lane in each direction near Boulevard (mile marker 78) beginning Monday, April 16, through Thursday, April 19, from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., weather permitting.
During the southbound bridge replacement, I-95 south traffic will merge onto the northbound bridge. Both I-95 north and south traffic will use the northbound bridge to maneuver around the construction. Overnight drivers should expect major delays.
During the nightly bridge replacements, I-95 south drivers will be restricted from exiting at Boulevard and the ramp from Boulevard to I-95 north will be closed. The following detours will be in place:
- I-95 south to Boulevard: I-95 south to I-195 south, exit at Hamilton Street, left onto Hamilton Street, right at Westwood Avenue, right onto Rosedale Avenue to Ellen Road to Boulevard.
- Boulevard to I-95 north: Boulevard southbound to Broad Street, turn right at Broad Street to I-195 north to I-95 north.
VDOT strongly encourages drivers use one of the following alternate routes to bypass the construction.
From I-95 south (Henrico): Access I-295 at exit 84 to reach I-64 east/west or areas south of Richmond; through travelers can use I-295 south to bypass Richmond and re-enter I-95 south at exit 46 in Prince George County. Local traffic can also take exit 82 (Chamberlayne Avenue/Route 1/301 south) to reach Richmond destinations.
From I-95 north (Prince George): Access I-295 at exit 46 to reach I-64 east/west or areas north of Richmond; through travelers can use I-295 north to bypass Richmond and re-enter I-95 north at exit 84 in Henrico County.
From I-64 east (Goochland/Henrico): There are three alternate routes:
- Access Route 288 south at exit 175 in Goochland to reach Chesterfield County locations and to re-enter I-95 at exit 62
- Access I-295 at exit 177 to reach I-95 north or I-64 east of Richmond
- Access I-195 south at exit 186 in Richmond to reach downtown destinations, Route 76/Powhite Parkway Extension (toll) through Chesterfield County or the Downtown Expressway (toll).
- I-64 east drivers will merge to one lane at the Bryan Park interchange to access I-95 south during the construction. I-64 east drivers should expect delays.
From I-64 west (Henrico/New Kent): Access I-295 north at exit 200 to reach I-95 or to continue on to I-64 west of Richmond.
The following four traffic cameras are available to view traffic conditions during the bridge replacement:
- I-95 at Bellevue Avenue (north of Laburnum Avenue/mile marker 79) http://www.trafficland.com/city/RIC/camera/300007/index.html?eml=true
- I-95 just north of Westwood Avenue (north of Boulevard/mile marker 78) http://www.trafficland.com/city/RIC/camera/300014/index.html?eml=true
- I-95 just south of Boulevard (south of mile marker 78) http://www.trafficland.com/city/RIC/camera/300013/index.html?eml=true
- I-95 just north of Lombardy Street (mile marker 77) http://www.trafficland.com/city/RIC/camera/300012/index.html
Each night, two cranes will remove the existing bridge deck and beams and set pre-cast bridge sections in its place. Workers will then secure the new structure to the previously-restored bridge substructure.