Mark Warner: Flight crew worked to minimize ground casualties
Senator Mark Warner released the following statement after a Navy jet crashed into a apartment building Friday.
“All of us are grateful for the quick and effective efforts of Virginia Beach emergency personnel to assist dozens of residents who sustained damage or loss.
“What is truly remarkable are the multiple stories of neighbors and bystanders who sprang into action immediately, without regard to their own safety, to assist our military pilots and help our first responders. Virginians have a proud tradition of strong support for our military, and the men and women who serve in Hampton Roads are our neighbors, friends and family members.
“By all accounts, this flight crew took extraordinary action in an effort to minimize casualties on the ground, and all of us are grateful for that. I expect this accident will be thoroughly investigated by Navy officials, and I will continue to monitor events as they develop.”
- Military jet crashes in Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach mayor begs folks to stay away from crash
- McDonnell: State is ready to help jet crash victims
- Pilot lands on man’s back porch; apologizes for jet crash blaze
- Helicopter video from jet crash scene
- PICTURES: Military jet crashes into Virginia Beach apartments