HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – A 69-year-old woman has died after a house fire Thursday night along the 9500 block of Hoke Brady Road in Henrico County.
Henrico Fire Captain James Mellon said Friday that Anna Marie Crewe’s body was discovered just inside the kitchen on the home’s first floor.
The medical examiner said she died from smoke inhalation.
The woman’s 28-year-old grandson was upstairs, inside the house, when he heard the smoke detector going off.
He came downstairs, saw smoke, grabbed his grandmother and was trying to get her to the front door. He told fire crews that she was following him, but that when he reached the front door, she was no longer there.
Officials said it is unclear if she turned around or became disoriented.
Firefighters arrived at the home around 7 p.m.to find it completely engulfed in flames. They couldn’t enter the house so they had to fight the fire from outside to get inside.