Wood burning heater responsible for Prince George blaze
PRINCE GEORGE, Va. (WTVR) – Firefighters in Prince George battled a house fire early Tuesday morning that started near a wood burning heater.
Prince George Fire & EMS Deputy Director Brad Owens said in a news release that crews were called to the 5500 Block of Mica Drive around midnight.
The homeowner’s smoke alarms went off and when he went outside, he saw that the home’s roof was on fire, said Owens.
First responders found heavy fire conditions when they arrived and tankers from other fire companies trucked in water, since there were no hydrants nearby.
Owens said the fire was marked under control just over two hours after the homeowner called 911.
Officials reminded folks to make sure all heaters are routinely cleaned and in an unobstructed location.
- Witness recalls ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s chilling final words
- VIDEO: Argument may have you questioning mom's parenting skills
- 911 CALL: Hissing 22-pound Himalayan cat forces family, dog into bedroom
- VIDEO: Watch what happens when President Obama pushes the red button on 'Between Two Ferns' with Zach Galifianakis