Man arrested for filming woman, child in Target dressing room
Chesterfield man disappears during swim
Plan to replace Richmond Coliseum
Motorcyclist killed after striking deer in Powhatan County
Police say infant killed in fatal crash was not properly secured
Police believe dash cam footage could help solve I-95 hit-and-run
Chesterfield man suspected of drowning in Virginia creek

School nurse saves fifth grade student

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PRINCE GEORGE COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) - A fifth grade student at North Elementary in Prince George County had quite a  scare at lunch Tuesday afternoon.

School officials told CBS 6 the male student bit into a piece of candy he wasn’t supposed to eat.

Classmates like Jared Smyth noticed the boy left his tray with a half-eaten pizza on it. The boy quickly realizing the candy had peanuts in it and ran to the school nurse.

School Superintendent Dr. Bobby Browder told CBS 6 Jon Burkett that the nurse immediately called the boy’s mother then noticed signs of the reaction escalating.

“She advised the parent that they were going to administer the EpiPen,” said Browder.

The child was taken to John Randolph Medical Center for precaution and later released to his family.

Allergic reactions have been on the radar of lawmakers this General Assembly session after the untimely and tragic death of 7-year-old Amarria Johnson from Chesterfield County.

According to Ammaria’s mom, her daughter had a peanut related allergic reaction and was pronounced dead at CJW Medical Center on January 3, 2012.

Chesterfield County schools have just made recent changes to the menu, removing peanut products from the cafeteria, and teacher vending machines.