Court papers reveal new information in shooting of Hanover teenager
HANOVER COUNTY, Va (WTVR) – Court papers filed in the January shooting death of Atlee High School student Brett Wells revealed new details about the crime.
Wells, 16, was shot and killed inside his Mechanicsville home on Jan. 21. [Click here for more]
Hanover investigators filed search warrants this week that indicated suspects Da’Von Byars, 19, Kevin Drayton Jr., 18, and Xavia Highsmith, 18, admitted to taking part in the deadly shooting.
The warrant also indicated the trio confessed to using a 9-mm pistol, in what investigators called a botched robbery. It was previously reported the men went to the Wells home to steal marijuana from him. [Click here for more]
The search warrant named Highsmith as the triggerman. It said he admitted he ‘held the gun and shot both of the victims during the incident.’ A second teenager in the home was shot in the hand.
Investigators reported they found the alleged murder weapon hidden in the backyard of Byars’ home.
Detectives said the statements from all three suspects consistent.
The teens remained jailed on charges that include first-degree murder.
All three suspects are set to appear in Hanover General District Court on Friday, Feb. 10.