RICHMOND, Va. -- Virginia State Police are investigating allegations that a former employee of the Virginia Association for Pupil Transportation (VAPT) embezzled funds from the group, according to VSP spokeswoman Sgt. Jessica Shehan.
VAPT President Darrin Wills sent a memo to the association’s members alerting them to “missing funds” in mid-March.
Willis said in the memo that “an internal review of VAPT’s financial records showed bank and other accounts have been significantly compromised.”
BONUS: Read memo from board about decision to cancel 2024 conference

Wills added the VAPT Executive Board “immediately turned its findings over to the Virginia State Police department who is currently conducting a criminal investigation into the missing funds.”
Due to the missing funds, Wills said the association was forced to cancel its annual conference in Richmond scheduled for June 16-20.
It is unclear how much money went missing.
CBS 6 investigative reporter Melissa Hipolit connected with Wills by phone, but he said he could not speak to her due to the state police investigation.
After we posted our story, Wills contacted Hipolit to clarify that the person being investigated “was not an employee of the association.”
VSP said it was a former employee.
Shehan said state police are in the early stages of their investigation.
Depend on CBS 6 News and WTVR.com for in-depth coverage of this important local story. Anyone with more information can email newstips@wtvr.com to send a tip.
-
-
Hanover family fed up with racial bullying of 4th grader
Fourth grader Jamal Baylor-Ali has faced continued racial bullying at his school, prompting his parents to criticize the Hanover County school system for what they say is insufficient action.Trump brings Tesla to White House after Musk protest outside Virginia dealership
President Trump's Tesla event at the White House comes amid protests and some vandalism at Tesla dealerships across the country.Hanover neighbors push back on landfill expansion plan: 'We found our voice'
Ashcake Road Landfill Incorporated, the owner of the existing landfill, is requesting approval from county leaders to construct another landfill adjacent to the current site.Why charges were dismissed against protesters at Palestinian rally in Richmond
Charges were dismissed against all defendants after 13 protesters were arrested last year in connection with demonstrations at Virginia Commonwealth University which police deemed unlawful.Restaurant owners still feeling effects of Richmond Water Crisis
Some Richmond restaurant owners are still trying to recoup money they lost from being forced to close during the city's multi-day water system failure.Family of Irvo Otieno files new $25m lawsuit against Henrico hospital
The estate of Irvo Otieno has filed a $25 million lawsuit against HCA's Parham Doctors' Hospital. The complaint was filed in federal court just days before the two-year anniversary of Otieno's death.
-