“Dia de los Muertos” with Casa Del Barco
RICHMOND, Va. – October 31st is Halloween and it also kicks off “Day of the Dead”, a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico. Maria Rojas and Kevin Papile from Casa Del Barco are here so share some history behind this holiday while Executive Chef, Jasmine Bruckner shares a recipe for Ancho Cherry Mole Pork Tacos with Pumpkin Salsa. Casa Del Barco has three Richmond area locations on the Canal Walk, Short Pump, and newly open location in Midlothian. www.casadelbarcova.com
Ancho Cherry Mole
- Ancho chilies- 8 each
- Cherries- 1 cup( preferably fresh cherries)
- Onion- 1 cup of finely diced
- Fresh ground coffee- 1 cup
- Chipotle in adobo- 1 cup ( Can be purchased at the local store)
- Almonds- 1/3 cup
- Mexcian chocolate or chocolate that is at least 60% – 1 cup
- Apple cider vinegar-3 tablespoons
- Salt- 3 tablespoons
- Cumin- 3 tablespoons
- Cinnamon- 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Ground clove-2 teaspoons
- Nutmeg- 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Water- 1 quart ( the water from the ancho chilies)
- Place ancho chiles in soaking hot water for about 15 mins.
- Cover chiles and with a lid or plastic wrap.
- Take the rest of the ingredients in red and put them in a pot.
- Now add chiles to these ingredients with the water
- Bring to a boil for 10 mins.
- Put in Vitamix (or blender) and puree until smooth.
- The mole can be served hot or cold
- Cut meat into small pieces and pour the mole over it and wrap with aluminum foil and cook for 2 hrs at 350 degrees