CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. -- Jared Moore and his fiance Aishlee Paige's Friday night ended very well thanks to a Chesterfield County police officer.
The couple went to the Chic-Fil-A after doing some shopping Saturday evening. They hadn't realized that their 7-month-old daughter, Ava, grabbed a fry until she started choking and turning red.
"My fiance tried grabbing it and pulling it out of her throat," Moore shared with CBS 6, "so I picked her up and started patting her on her back."
In their panic, Moore remembered seeing an officer when they arrived at the restaurant earlier.
"I ran over to him with her and asked him to help us, because she wasn't breathing," Moore said.
Officer Christopher King quickly and calmly dislodged the fry from her throat, saving her life, the couple said.
"Even after he dislodged it, he walked back over to our table with us and sat down and played with her until EMS arrived," Moore continued. "He wouldn’t even leave the scene until they said that she was okay to go home. He didn’t leave until they packed up and left."
"I'm very proud of Officer King," Chesterfield Policed Chief Col. Jeffrey Katz said, "and while he will be recognized for his lifesaving efforts, I can assure everyone that his greatest reward is - and always be - the knowledge that he made a difference for a precious young life during a critical time. That is why I love those who serve others!"
Ava had just turned 7 months the day before getting choked.
"Without him being there and taking that overtime and being that committed to his job, we wouldn't have our daughter today," Moore said.