Discarded fireworks started 2 Chesterfield fires; one bad enough to displace family

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. – Discarded firework debris was the source of two Chesterfield house fires Wednesday evening, one which displaced two adults and two children as a result.

The Chesterfield County Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded Wednesday night, at 11:38 p.m., to the 11700 block of Duxbury Court for the report of a house fire.

Fire crews arrived to find heavy fire coming from the rear of the house that was extending into the attic. It took fire crews a little over 30 minutes to get the fire under control. The house suffered significant damage. Two adults and two children were displaced as a result of the fire.

No injuries were reported.

The Chesterfield County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was started due to discarded firework debris that was placed into a trash can. The trash can caught fire and spread to the rear of the house.

A second fire in the 15000 block of Horseshoe Bend Drive was also caused by discarded firework debris.

The fire started in an attached garage; however, was quickly spotted by the homeowner and only caused minor damage in the garage.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.