Fire destroys Hanover home while family is on vacation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HANOVER COUNTY, Va. -- Several family pets died when a home on Country Sky Way in Hanover caught fire and burned to the ground.

The family who lived in the home was away on vacation at the time of the fire.

Firefighter are not sure when the fire started, but crews were called to the home Thursday morning.

"Upon arrival, fire crews observed the remains of a residential house smoldering within the foundation," Hanover Fire Battalion Chief Greg Martin said. "The fire does not appear to be suspicious at this time. However, the incident is under investigation by the Fire Marshal's Office."

Hanover firefighters were not sure exactly how many pets died in the fire, nor what kinds of animals perished.

You can click here to support the GoFundMe set up for the family.

Witnesses can send news tips or photos here.

Google Map for coordinates 37.844811 by -77.590697.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.