1 injured, several others displaced in Henrico apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. -- Fire officials said a blaze that broke out at an apartment complex in the West End Sunday afternoon has been deemed accidental.

Crews were dispatched to the Colonial Village at Chase Gayton apartment complex on Chase Gayton Drive off of Gaskins Road at approximately 2:23 p.m. and arrived two minutes later to find fire coming from the rear of the top floor of a three-story building.

"Firefighters immediately began escorting occupants of surrounding apartments out and assisted Henrico Police, who was removing a man from his apartment when he entered the smoke-filled environment to search for his cat and he was overcome by smoke," Henrico Fire spokesman Capt. Taylor Goodman said. "As additional fire personnel arrived, the hose lines were immediately placed inside and outside of the building to control the fire and keep it from spreading."

One resident was transported to VCU Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

Several citizens were escorted from the building along with multiple birds and cats.

The fire was marked under control at 2:49 p.m.

Officials said the blaze was deemed accidental and electrical in nature.

Google Map for coordinates 37.609414 by -77.589675.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.