RICHMOND, Va. -- Crews spent two hours battling a fire on the roof of the Quirk Hotel in downtown Richmond Sunday morning.
Richmond fire officials said crews were called to the hotel at 201 W. Broad Street at 11:45 a.m.
A hotel spokesperson tells CBS 6 the fire started in one of the terrace rooms on the 7th floor. That floor has been closed for renovations, so no one was staying in the room.
The Richmond Fire Marshal said Monday that discarded smoking material, most likely from the rooftop bar, fell onto the patio rooftop where it smoldered before starting the fire.
Because of the size of the hotel, a second-alarm was activated and additional crews responded.
About a dozen companies worked the fire.
The fire prompted an evacuation of the hotel. Officials said 40 rooms were booked, but that there were also people dining in the hotel's restaurant downstairs when the fire broke out.
The hotel since reopened, and the rooftop bar opened at 7 p.m.
There has been no word yet on what sparked the fire or the extent of the damage to the hotel.
Two blocks of Broad Street between Adams and Monroe were closed while crews were on scene.