Dog helps couple escape Ruffin Road house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RICHMOND, Va. -- A dog helped two people escape a burning Richmond home.

Firefighters responded to a house fire on Ruffin Road, off Jeff Davis Highway in south Richmond, before sunrise Wednesday.

There were two people, a dog, and cat inside at the time.

The dog woke up the couple in the home and alerted them to  the fire, according to Richmond firefighters on scene.

The fire, which was concentrated at the front of the home, was marked under control by 4 a.m.

Investigators are still working to figure out if the smoke detector was working at the time and what sparked the fire.

The couple was treated at the scene for possible smoke inhalation.

This is a developing story. Witnesses can send news tips and photos here.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.