PRINCE GEORGE, Va. -- A fire that started early Thursday is being called "very suspicious" by firefighters.
Shawn Futrell said he was taking his son, Karter, to school when they spotted smoke pouring from the front door of his father-in-law's home in the 6600 block of Hair Road in Disputanta. Karter called 911 around 7:15 a.m. Thursday.
Before firefighters arrived, Futrell they used a garden hose at the home to put out a hotspot.
Once firefighters arrived they found "multiple origins" of fire within the home, according to Brad Owens, Director of Prince George Fire & EMS.
"Basically that means there were multiple fires in the house that occured simultaneously," Owens described.
At this time investigators have not elaborated on what sparked the flames but called the fire "very suspicious."
Owens said that the home was in the process of being renovated, but had not been rented out for a few months. He also said that vandalism was found on the outside of the home that the homeowner stated was not present prior to the fire.
Sources said the previous renters were recently evicted from the home.