Chesterfield Death investigation

Man taken to hospital, dog dies after South Richmond house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RICHMOND -- One man was sent to the hospital after a fire started in a south Richmond home, in the early morning.

The fire broke out just after 3:30 a.m. Monday, on Buford Avenue just off of Jeff Davis Highway.

Fire crews found small flames from the front of the house and smoke coming out of the bedroom in the back of the home.

A resident of the house, a 37-year-old man was able to get out of the house on his own but needed to be taken to the hospital for treatment. There is no word on his condition.

Four other residents of the home, a mother and her three children, were not home when the fire broke out.

Crews went inside to rescue two dogs, and one of those dogs died after being taken from the home. The second dog was taken in by Richmond Animal Care and Control.

Investigators have said the fire was an accidental electrical fire, but no word yet on what specifically sparked the fire.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.