Bomb squad responds to Chesterfield Police station
Police: Wrong-way driver on I-95 involved in head-on crash

Residents frustrated by year-long detour after city withholds payment

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PETERSBURG, Va. -- Those who live in Battlefield Park know the detour signs all too well.

Residents said “it’s been too long” and “it’s inconvenient.”

What started as a drainage project that would bring understandable detours turned into a stalled project, residents said.

"They started on it, but then they stopped and then they came back for a minute and they stopped and they never came back,” Faye Johnson said.

Now, patience has worn thin.

"I've been a little disappointed that not being able to have access to the street each way you know, s that's been kind of frustrating,” Lawrence Walker said.

After a few calls, CBS 6 learned that the contractor stopped working after he wasn't paid by the City of Petersburg.

This has some wondering why the project was started to begin with if the city couldn’t afford it.

"If you say you're going to do something, we look for it to be done, but this has just been un-called for,” said James Jones.

Just last month Petersburg sent out a letter, apologizing to area drivers for what has happened.

"I'll just be glad when they fix it,” Jones said.

Thursday the city told CBS 6 the project is back on track, the contractor has been paid, and work could begin here as soon as next week.

That was news that made residents like Johnson very happy.

"You know I thank the Lord for that because we need to have our street back,” she said.

Do you need help from the CBS 6 Problem Solvers?

Click here to send a message to the CBS 6 Problem Solvers.Be sure to leave us your name, phone number and detailed description of the problem. You can also leave a message by calling 804-254-3672.

Click here to view all of the problems we have solved.