MARTIN’S salad bar item sold over weekend may have listeria
CARLISLE, Pa. — If you ate sunflower seeds sold on the salad bar at local MARTIN’S Food Markets, they may have been contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, the company warned on Tuesday.
The sunflower seeds in question were sold on the salad bar from May 20 – May 22, 2016 in the following 23 MARTIN’S store locations only:
- 253 North Washington Highway, Ashland
- 12601 Jefferson Davis Highway, Chester
- 6401 Centralia Road, Chesterfield
- 3107-15 Blvd., Colonial Heights
- 10150 Brook Road, Glen Allen
- 10250 Staples Mill Road, Glen Allen
- 9645 West Broad Street, Glen Allen
- 7324 Bell Creek Road, Mechanicsville
- 200 Charter Colony Parkway, Midlothian
- 13700 Hull Street Road, Midlothian
- 3330 South Crater Road, Petersburg
- 5700 Brook Road, Richmond
- 5201 Chippenham Crossing Center, Richmond
- 7045 Forest Hill Ave., Richmond
- 10001 Hull Street Road, Richmond
- 2250 John Rolfe Parkway, Richmond
- 11361 Midlothian Turnpike, Richmond
- 3460 Pump Road, Richmond
- 4591 South Laburnum Road, Richmond
- 3000 Stony Point Road, Richmond
- 7035 Three Chopt Road, Richmond
- 3522 West Cary St., Richmond
- 4660 Monticello Ave., Williamsburg
The sunflower seeds were first recalled by SunOpta.
MARTIN’S has received no reports of illnesses to date. Customers who have purchased this product should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase receipt to MARTIN’S for a full refund.
Consumption of food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, an uncommon but potentially fatal disease.
Healthy people rarely contract listeriosis.
However, listeriosis can cause high fever, severe headache, neck stiffness and nausea. Listeriosis can also cause miscarriages and stillbirths, as well as serious and sometimes fatal infections in those with weakened immune systems, such as infants, the elderly and persons with HIV infection or undergoing chemotherapy.