Richmond Greyhound shooting: Trooper, suspect dead; 2 people wounded

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RICHMOND, Va. -- A Virginia State trooper who was shot when a suspect opened fire at a Greyhound bus station in Richmond Thursday afternoon has died, according to Virginia State Police.

Virginia State Police Superintendent W. Steven Flaherty confirms Trooper Chad Dermyer was killed as a result of multiple gunshot wounds from the suspect in Thursdays Greyhound Bus Station shooting. Dermyer is survived by his wife and two kids.

The former Marine is from Jackson, Michigan and was assigned to the Hampton/Newport News area.

Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne N. Geller said four people, including the suspect, were shot when troopers were called to the bus station in the 2910 N. Boulevard at 2:45 p.m.

Geller said a trooper, who was already at the station, met a man just inside the entrance. Geller said the trooper was talking to the suspect when he pulled out a gun and shot the trooper.

Geller said two nearby troopers returned fire on the suspect.

The trooper, two civilians and the suspect were transported to VCU Medical Center.

Geller said the suspect died at the hospital, while Flaherty confirms Dermyer died at the hospital. The two civilians suffered non life-threatening injuries.

Multiple sources told WTVR CBS 6 reporter Jon Burkett that state police were at the bus station for a drug interdiction training exercise when gunfire erupted.

A man who stopped for a smoke break before going into the bus station, said he heard at least five to ten shots fired.

As a result of the incident, the Boulevard is closed between Robin Hood Road and Leigh Street.

Greyhound tweeted that the bus station was closed until further notice.

We are fully cooperating with the authorities and providing any information they may need, including video surveillance that was captured.

We’re unable to confirm the number of injuries at this time. However, no employees were injured.

Our station has been evacuated and we are offering counselors to not only assist our employees, but customers that were at the station as well.

We are re-routing inbound schedules to our Richmond garage until further notice. If you are scheduled to travel today to or from Richmond, we will work with you to re-issue tickets for another time.

"We will re-route customers as possible and we will re-issue tickets once we resume service if you are supposed to travel to or from Richmond today," the company stated.

The bus station is across the street from the Diamond baseball stadium.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.