Track Storms in Virginia

Improperly discarded smoking materials cause Henrico house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. -- Units were working for several hours Sunday morning after being called to a house fire.

The incident happened on the 1300 block of Northbury Avenue off of New Market Road a little before 7 a.m. The first units to respond arrived within six minutes of the initial call and found the fire on the side of the house that had also made its way into the attic. The fire was extinguished quickly and prevented from spreading to the rest of the house.

No one was injured in the fire.

After extinguishing the fire, units remained on scene to assist the owner of the home to salvage the remains. The exterior of the home was closed up with heavy duty plastic sheeting and the interior was sealed to allow the homeowner to remain there.

The fire was determined to be accidental in nature and caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials outside the house.

Officials say that the family will be able to get back into their home shortly.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.