Boyfriend of Virginia mom missing 2 months killed by police after Georgia robbery

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Crystal Griffin ReddBLACKSTONE, Va. — The missing Blackstone mother of two, last seen in early December, was apprehended in Georgia after police fatally shot her boyfriend.

Crystal Griffin Redd, 32, was traveling with her boyfriend Jim Bravis Redmond, 28. Both were wanted for different reasons; Redd for embezzlement and Redmond on military desertion charges going back to 2013.

They were also wanted in connection to an armed robbery in Georgia; described by law enforcement as “Bonnie and Clyde.”

On Tuesday, Redd was apprehended and Redmond fatally shot at a Georgia Pilot Travel Center, according to a Valdosta Today report.

Redd was approached by a deputy because the vehicle matched one used in a robbery earlier that day.

On Tuesday, Redd was apprehended and Redmond fatally shot at a Georgia Pilot Travel Center.

On Tuesday, Redd was apprehended and Redmond fatally shot at a Georgia Pilot Travel Center.

An agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said that upon questioning Redd, the deputy realized Redmond was hiding in the back with a gun.

The deputy requested additional backup and several attempts were reportedly made to get Redmond out of the car.

“The male did not comply with the repeated requests and exited the vehicle with a pistol,” said Jamy Steinberg, GBI Special Agent-in-Charge, in a published report. “According to preliminary witness reports, the male failed to drop the weapon or surrender before pointing the gun at law enforcement who then fired upon him.”

PHOTO VIA Valdosta

PHOTO VIA Valdosta

Redd was taken into custody in connection to the armed robbery. Redmond died from his gunshot wounds at the hospital. An autopsy was conducted, but no information has been released from it yet.

Redd is also wanted in Blackstone on embezzlement charges.

The mother of two was seen on surveillance video taking money from the safe of a local Food Lion, police said. Thousands of dollars disappeared.

“She’s seen on video leaving with what we believe is the money and she comes back in a short time later, to finish up her shift and then she leaves for good,” said Blackstone Police Chief Nick Kuzmiak.

Redd disappeared without a trace November 20, and never made contact with her family or children.

Family members said back in December that Crystal has never been in trouble with the law, and that these events are completely out of character.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.