RICHMOND, Va - Niall Duffy, Owner of Two and a Half Irish-Men, LLC, visited the studio to share his recipe for Traditional Irish Guinness Porter Cake. Niall specializes in traditional Irish breads and cakes with some recipes almost 200 years old. For more information you can call 804-615-3520 or visit online at www.twoandahalfirishmen.com and www.facebook.com/twoandahalfirishmen.
Traditional Irish Guinness Porter Cake
12oz / 340g All Purpose Flour
1 Pinch of Salt
1.5 level teaspoons Baking Powder
2 level teaspoon Mixed Spice or Pumpkin Spice Mix
6.5 oz / 180g Light Brown Sugar
6 oz / 170g Butter
9 oz / 260g Raisins
60g / 2oz Candied Peel
1 x 11.2 fl oz Bottle Guinness (Porter)
2 Eggs (beaten)
- Preheat oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Line a 20cm/8″ round cake tin or a 2 lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper or if it is non-stick, spray with some Canola oil.
- Sieve the flour, salt, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl and add the sugar.
- Rub in the butter and add the fruit and mix.
- Add the porter to the beaten eggs and add to fruit mixture.
- Mix well.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for approximately 1 hour 15mins or until a skewer comes free of the cake clean.
- Place in a centre position in the oven.
- Check cake after an hour and if it is browning too quickly, cover with a double layer of greaseproof paper until baked.
- If you prefer Chocolate to raisins, substitute 5oz of chocolate morsels for the raisins