Man shot at Southside motel
Potential for ice and snow this week
SHARE: Scott’s Addition metal sculptor David Sines missing

Man in wheelchair rescued after teen accidentally starts Chesterfield house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. -- A man in a wheelchair was rescued from a Chesterfield County house fire, according to Chesterfield Fire Lt. Jason Elmore.

Elmore said at 3:55 p.m. crews responded to the home in the 15700 block of Tinsberry Place after a call of a fire and someone still in the home. Prior to the arrival of Fire and EMS personnel, a county police officer and a citizen entered the home and rescued a man inside in a wheelchair from the second floor along with help from two other police officers.

The man was transported to the hospital with minor injuries and is expected to make a full recovery. All other occupants evacuated the home without injury.

When fire crews arrived it took about 30 minutes to get the house fire under control.

A minor admitted to accidentally starting the fire by playing with a lighter outside. His father told CBS 6 the fire started with some leaves, spread to a shed, and then the house, which is connected to the shed.

The teen will not be charged. Elmore said that more than likely (but not for certain) the teen who started the fire will go through the juvenile fire starter program.

All eight occupants of the home have been displaced. The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.