Track rain in Richmond

Little girl, man badly burned in freak Halloween pumpkin fire accident

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- A four-year-old girl and a 42-year-old man were hospitalized after they were badly burned lighting a pumpkin, WTKR reported. The man was holding his girlfriend's child in his arms while he tried to light the pumpkin.

The man had hollowed out the pumpkin and was sketching a design on the outside when he turned the pumpkin upside down and put a grill lighter inside to show the little girl what the inside looked like.

As this was happening, fumes built up inside of the pumpkin because the face was not carved out yet. Since the fumes had nowhere to go, a flash fire occurred in the pumpkin. The man suffered first and second-degree burns on his abdomen and genital area. The child suffered first and second degree burns on her face and right arm.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.