Microwave fire forces James Madison Building closure

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Fire at Madison building in downtown Richmond (PHOTO: Sandra Jones)

RICHMOND, Va. — Virginia State Police Investigators have officially ruled Thursday’s fire at the Madison Building an accidental and the result of a malfunctioning microwave.

Witnesses said it appeared a microwave was to blame for the afternoon fire at on Governor Street, in downtown Richmond. Richmond Fire rushed to high rise at about 1:30 p.m. as smoked started to fill the building’s third floor.

State workers were told to shelter in place as sprinklers went off to help extinguish the fire.

The fire was marked under control just before 2 p.m.

The Madison building was closed for the remainder of the day, according to people who work in the building.

 

 

Google Map for coordinates 37.537179 by -77.431758.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.