Virginia Supreme Court upholds Capitol Square gun ban

Firefighters spot child being handed out window at Henrico fire that displaced 6

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HENRICO, Va. –  Four people were rescued by firefighters after an apartment fire ignited in North Henrico Friday afternoon.

Firefighters responded to the 200 block of Engleside Circle at 2:36 Friday afternoon.

A smoke alarm alerted occupants in the apartment to the fire.

First arriving units made it on scene in five minutes and reported smoke from the front of the apartment building.

They spotted a small child being handed out a second story window to another adult below.

Crews quickly rescued four additional residents from the second story bedroom windows.

Inside the apartment crews found a small kitchen fire that had been extinguished by an over the stove fire extinguisher and prevented the spread to the other apartments in the building.

That was the only apartment to suffer fire and smoke damage.

Four residents were evaluated on scene but none required transportation to the hospital.

Six residents will be displaced by the fire for a short period of time and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The fire was marked under control at 20 minutes after arrival.

Officials said the fire started due to unattended cooking.  Cooking fires still lead as the number one cause of fires in the nation and unattended cooking is the number one reason, because fires can breakout in a matter of minutes.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.