Pest control vehicle catches fire, leaks chemicals in Chesterfield neighborhood

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHESTERFIELD, Va. -- An environmental company was needed to clean up the mess in the driveway of a home in the Tarrington subdivision off Robious Road in North Chesterfield.

Chesterfield fire officials said a pest control company was on site to spray for mosquitos when the motor near the container used to spray the chemical accidentally caught fire. The fire engulfed the vehicle, and ultimately destroyed it.

Some of the chemicals in the truck started to run off toward a nearby creek, but firefighters were able to stop it.

At this time they said there is no threat to residents or the environment.

One person was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation, according to officials on scene. Another person was treated for chemical exposure.

No word on their conditions.

Developing.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.