Police arrest man accused of burning car, woman still missing

Assisted living center evacuated as smoke filled the building

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RICHMOND, Va. -- A dryer malfunction prompted the overnight evacuation at an assisted living center near Carytown in Richmond. Residents at The Parkwood, on the 3000 block of Parkwood Avenue, were evacuated at about 3:30 a.m. as smoke filled parts of the building.

When Richmond fire crews responded to the center, they discovered the smoke came from a laundry room. Fire investigators, who were called to the center as a precaution, did not find anything suspicious.

Center residents were allowed back into The Parkwood at about 5:30 a.m.