Fatal Chesterfield Crash

Disgruntled hospital patient accused of phoning in bomb threat

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EMPORIA, Va. -- A man who was unhappy with the level of care he received at a South Central Virginia hospital decided to call to express his dissatisfaction, but it is what he is accused of saying that has him facing up to 10 years behind bars.

The phone call came in about 10:20 p.m. Friday to Southern Virginia Regional Medical Center.The person on the other end said that there was a bomb in the hospital, according to Emporia Police Chief Rick Pinksaw.

After relaying the information to police, the phone log was pulled and officers made a startling discovery.

"An alert hospital staff worker stated that that was the phone number for Halifax Regional Medical Center in Roanoke Rapids," said Pinksaw.

While Virginia State Police brought in two bomb dogs, an Emporia police detective met a Roanoke Rapids officer at Halifax Regional.


"Our detective went to the hospital, was able to make a phone call to the number that came into the hospital. And as he was going into the room, the phone was ringing in the room with the suspect," Pinksaw said.

Police said 57-year-old Joseph John Urbancik then admitted to making the phone call.

"The defendant came to our hospital here, tried to receive services, they denied his services, he was not happy with that," Commonwealth's Attorney Patricia Watson said.

Watson said Urbancik now faces prison time if he is convicted of making the bomb threat.

"It's a serious felony charge, it's a Class 5 Felony, which means he can get up to 10 years in prison," Watson said.

The Southern Virginia Regional Medical Center released the following statement to CBS 6:

 "An evacuation of the hospital was not needed nor was it recommended...  There were no interruptions to patient care at Southern Virginia Regional Medical Center during the brief event."