RICHMOND, Va. -- In less than 24 hours, hundreds of people signed the "Better with Bedden" petition, an online petition that parents and supporters created Saturday in hopes of convincing Superintendent Dr. Dana Bedden to stay with Richmond Public Schools.CBS 6 News confirmed Thursday that Bedden is being considered for superintendent of Boston Public Schools.
Susan Elliot, who volunteers in Richmond city schools, is one of the hundreds who signed the petition to keep Bedden.
Elliott said schools are lacking, some students are struggling and Richmond schools need Bedden.
"Finally we have a vision we have a way to implement it and its scary to think that is he leaves who is going to carry it out," Ellen said. "Dr. Bedden is real, he’s present, he knows the issues here and I believe he cares and that’s why I want him to stay and finish up what he has started."
Bedden has not yet formally addressed his possible move but there is a school board meeting at MLK Middle Monday at 5 p.m. Supporters will present the petition to the board at the meeting, they are asking all supporters to come and wear blue.
- RPS Superintendent Bedden may be headed to Boston
- Superintendent draws line after rash of fights at Armstrong High
- Superintendent doesn’t recommend re-opening Elkhardt Middle after multimillion-dollar mold problem
- Removal of elementary school principal over test scores upsets some parents
- Richmond School boss: ‘You got millions and millions of dollars worth of neglect over years’
- ‘Leading’ candidate ends Richmond Superintendent bid
- Public invited to interview Richmond School Superintendent finalists
- State: Richmond School Board has 2 weeks to name superintendent