Cigarette sparks bedroom fire inside Colonial Heights home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, Va. —  Fire crews responded to a house fire at about 6:15 a.m. Wednesday along the 3600 block of Haywick Drive in Colonial Heights. The fire was contained to a bedroom in the home, according to Colonial Heights Deputy Fire Marshal Joe Boisseau.

“The occupants were home at the time and escaped without injury. When fire crews arrived they had fire in a bedroom contained to the mattress. The fire was under control in about 15 minutes. A cigarette is being blamed for the fire,” Boisseau said.

The Red Cross was called to help the displaced family.

“Damage is minor in the bedroom with the rest of the second floor have only smoke damage,” Boisseau said. “There was a working smoke detector in the second floor hallway.”

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.