Body found on side of road
GRTC Pulse officially launches. Here’s what to know

Shake served at Dairy Queen makes boys tongue burn

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

COLORADO – A mother from Colorado says the vanilla milkshake she ordered for her son at the Dairy Queen restaurant had cleaning solution   in it.

“Something was like bubbling on my tongue,” said 7-year-old Riley Chase.

Lisa Chase took her son to the hospital after he said his tongue was burning.

“They could’ve cost people their lives with this,” Chase said.

Chase is still disturbed by the incident after getting more than the shake she ordered for her son.

“You couldn’t even taste the ice cream in it, it tasted like you were drinking a very strong cleanser, then the burn started instantly,” said Chase.

Chase said as she complained to the manager.

Dairy Queen franchise owner, Ron Wickham, said an employee left a container soaking in Kay Chemical Company 2-in-1 Floor Cleaner and Degreaser in the sink. Wickham said another employee thought the container was clean and filled it with vanilla syrup which was then used on at least three orders, according to

Wickham said he has contacted the health department as well as poison control – and the employees involved have been written up for not following proper procedure.

The Dairy Queen incident comes just weeks after a Utah women was hospitalized after drinking tea tainted with lye at a barbecue restaurant. In that case, an employee mistook degreaser – made up of sodium hydroxide, or lye – for sugar, mixing it into the tea and causing extreme burns to the woman’s throat and mouth, according to

“I am fed up, they need to be held accountable for what they’re doing because they could have cost people their lives with this,” Chase said.