Slight risk for severe storms Friday
Track storms in Richmond

Alexander Hill, ‘person of interest’ in four deaths, spotted in N.C.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PETERSBURG, Va. -- State and federal investigators have been searching for Alexander Hill Jr. since the person of interest in the April deaths of three women and a toddler went on the run.  Hill is wanted for the Violation of a Protective Order

CBS 6 reporter Jon Burkett has been working for weeks to uncover his last known whereabouts, an investigation that led him across the state line.

Surveillance video taken at a combined bus/train station in the early morning hours of Easter Sunday, less than 24 hours after the crime, shows Hill in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

“He arrived there about 5:45 a.m. Easter Sunday, he was on video for about two hours but the bus service was closed and we were able to confirm he didn't get on the train," said U.S. Marshal Kevin Connolly.


Hill is a person of interest in the killings of three women and a child, who were found dead inside a charred home off Harding Street
on Saturday April 19, 2014.

"Said he was from New York and heading to Mississippi,” said motel maintenance man Thomas Walton, who said he gave Hill a lift to Rocky Mount, from Roanoke Rapids.

Marshals said that Hill took a taxi from Petersburg to Roanoke Rapids.

CBS 6 reporter Melissa Hipolit spoke to a man in Petersburg who said he was the cab driver who took Hill south.

The man did not want to be interviewed on camera, but we talked to his co-worker who said he knows what happened.

Daryl Pride said Hill showed up at Boulevard Cab Company in Petersburg in the early morning hours of Easter Sunday, but could not get inside because the door was locked.

The U.S. Marshal’s Service has not confirmed the name of the cab company.

“He knocked on the door and asked for a ride,” Pride said.

Pride said his co-worker agreed to take Hill south. Hill had not been named a person of interest in the case at that time.

“I think he was trying to get to North Carolina,” Pride said.

Walton added that he had no idea who Hill was, he was just trying to make a few bucks

“I gave him a price and he agreed,” Walton said. He said that he felt nervous around Hill, especially when he watched him reach into his knapsack.

Alexander Hill Jr.

Alexander Hill Jr.

U.S. Marshals said Hill was dropped off at the Waffle House off Interstate 95, and that he sat inside for a while before he walked up the street to another Waffle House.

“We want the public to know we believe he's alive and if anyone had contact with him to give us a call,"  Connolly said.

Marshals say they have followed all leads in North Carolina along with other locations through ought the country

"We flooded every place from homeless shelters to motels, hotels trying to develop something," Connolly said.

The victims of Harding Street

The victims of Harding Street

The names of the victims, family members identified them as Pauline Wilkins, her daughter Vickie Ansar and Ansar’s children Tanique and Delvari Chavis. Delvari Chavis was two years old.

“I was able to observe wounds on two of the victims consistent with puncture wounds,” the detective continued. “A large knife with red stains was located at the scene.”

The detective said he learned from a witness identified as “V.C.” that she had received “several recent threats” from her ex-boyfriend Alexander Hill Jr. She said Hill threatened he was “going to kill her and everyone in her family.”

Vivian Chavis, who was scheduled to meet Hill Monday in Petersburg court to finalize her protective order against him, spoke out about the deaths of her mother and other relatives.

“I lost everything. The love of my life, my mother, was everything to me,” Chavis told CBS 6 senior reporter Wayne Covil.

During the course of the investigation, detectives learned Hill lived at a home on S. Valor Drive. Detective went to the home to search for evidence.

According to the search warrant, detectives removed the following items from the S. Valor Drive home:

  • Knives
  • Cell phones
  • Documents
  • Thumb drives
  • Cameras
  • GPS
  • Clothing
  • Computers

The search warrant also indicated that a cell phone belonging to Hill was located by officers during their investigation.

A text message on this phone showed that a text message was sent from his phone to witness “J.K’s” phone on April 19 at 3:30 a.m. displaying a text of : “Hey Brother.  I am here!  My destination. Should things go as I have planned I no longer exist.  That’s right claim my remains and ensure they are creamated. Get over to my house and remove everything.”

There is currently a $5,000 reward for Hill. If you have information on his whereabouts, call U.S. Marshals at their Fugitive Task Force Hotline: 1-877-Wanted-2

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.