Man found shot on I-64

Ammunition explodes during Chesterfield garage fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHESTERFIELD, Va. (WTVR) – Chesterfield firefighters battled a garage fire in the 9700 block of Shamrock Drive on Sunday evening.

Crews were called out just before 6:15 p.m., but had to hold back getting to close to the flames. That’s because the homeowner said ammunition stored inside the building had started popping and exploding.

However, Chesterfield firefighters managed to get the fire under control in about 20 minutes.

Fire officials said that no one was in any danger from the ammunition.