Space heater blamed for sparking Richmond fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Richmond, VA (WTVR) – Richmond fire investigators now say a space heater is to blame for sparking a house fire on the City’s Southside.

Lt. Robbie Hagaman with the Richmond Fire Department says the fire broke out inside a home in the 2200 block of Bywood Lane, off Hull Street Road, around 7:30 p.m. Tuesday night.

Four people were in the home when the fire broke out. All were able to make it out safely. The Red Cross is helping them find a new place to live.

Firefighters want to remind anyone who uses a space heater to keep it at least three feet away from furniture, curtains or anything else that can catch on fire.