Driver stuck under tractor-trailer

Student suffers serious allergic reaction on school bus

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PRINCE GEORGE COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – A Prince George County High School student suffered a serious allergic reaction on the school bus after school Friday, according to Prince George County School Superintendent Bobby Browder.

Browder told CBS 6 senior reporter Wayne Covil the student was stung by a bee. Browder said the student’s records indicated he could have an allergic reaction to insect bites, so he was checked over and determined to be fine. The student’s father told the school it would be okay for his son to ride home on the bus, Browder said.

But during the ride home, the student developed signs of a serious allergic reaction.

The bus driver stopped the bus near the school board office and called for help. A school nurse at the office arrived and found the student in serious condition, Browder said.

The nurse administered an epinephrine auto-injector and called 911. The nurse then administered a second dose of epinephrine.

The student was taken to Southside Regional Medical Center for further treatment. The student was treated and released around 6:30 p.m.