TRACK RAIN: Use CBS 6 Interactive Radar

Suspect in River Road hit-and-run released on bond

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) - The man accused of a deadly hit and run on River Road turned himself in to authorities. Eli Webb, 30, walked into the John Marshall Courthouse Wednesday morning.

A judge granted Webb a $200,000 bond during a morning hearing. The judge also ordered Webb to turn over his driver's license and passport.

Jerry Baldwin with the Richmond Sheriff's Office said Webb was released from the city lock up after posting bond around 6:30 p.m.

Earlier this week, a Richmond grand jury indicted Webb on a felony hit and run charge in connection with the death of 24-year-old Lanie Kruszewski.

Kruszewski was killed Sunday, July 29, while riding her bicycle at night along River Road. She was returning home after finishing her shift at Osaka’s Restaurant on Huguenot Road.

Inside the courtroom, details emerged about the night Webb allegedly struck and killed  the Maggie Walker Governor's School alumna.

According to prosecutors, Kruzcewski was thrown 109 feet from the point of impact.  They say she hit Webb's hood and windshield of Webb's Dodge Durango.

Webb said he did not stop because he thought he had hit a deer, not a person. According to court documents filed Monday, Webb failed to stop or give any assistance to Kruszewski.

"It is unlikely that he thought he hit a deer.  I just don't believe it.  We just don't believe it," said Richmond Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Collette Wallace McEachin.

Prosecutors told judge Margaret Spencer, Webb had 11 moving violations that included 5 speeding tickets and a reckless driving charge, and argued his release would be a danger to the public.

As part of his bond, Eli Webb surrendered his driver's license and passport.  He also has to let a probation officer know where he's living.

Webb's attorney, Keith Marcus, said Webb is not a flight risk and is remorseful for what happened.

"Words can't even tell you how remorseful he is.  And even the whole family is so devastated by what happened.  And that's really the hardest part about this whole case," said Marcus.  "That a good girl to go at such a young age, and to have the impact she's had in 24 years,  I think is just hard for him to live with."

Prosecutors say Kruzcewski's family is still grappling with the loss.

"They are obviously still traumatized by the loss of their girlfriend, and sister, and daughter.  But they are holding it together well," McEachin said.

Webb is at the Richmond City jail and is expected to be bonded out some time Wednesday.

He heads back to court for a pre-trial hearing Aug. 20 at 8:45 a.m. at the John Marshall courthouse.

Click here for more coverage of this story.