HENRICO, Va. (WTVR) – Three firefighters are recovering after battling a West End house fire.
It happened around 6:30 pm on Olde Covington Court in Henrico. Fire Captain James Mellon says the side of the house caught fire from an outside gas grill.
Mellon says it took more than an hour to gain control of the flames.
Five occupants are displaced and three firefighters had to be transported to the hospital do to heat issues. Mellon tells CBS 6 their injuries are not life threatening.
The National Fire Protection Association says grills sparked an average of 8,200 house fires in the U.S. per year, between 2005 and 2009.
Henrico County Division of Fire would like to remind you to place all outside cooking devices at least 15 feet away from any combustible material and never leave grills or fryers unattended.