RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) - Local Food Enthusiast Debbie Boroughs dishes up a savory Curried Cauliflower Soup perfect at any temperature…any time.
Curried Cauliflower Soup (Adapted from Martha Rose Shulman)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (I like the Madras blend)
- 2 pounds cauliflower (1 medium head), roughly chopped
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced, or 1/2 cup rice
- 2 quarts water, vegetable stock or chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy soup pot and add the onion.
- Cook, stirring often, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to a minute.
- Add the cauliflower, potato or rice, water or stock, and salt to taste and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the soup (or you can use a regular blender, working in batches and placing a kitchen towel over the top to avoid splashing) until it is very smooth.
- Return to the pot, heat through, add freshly ground pepper and adjust salt.
- Serve, garnishing each bowl with chopped cilantro.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.