Nearly 70,000 children and pregnant women could lose health insurance
Alabama election: Doug Jones defeats Roy Moore

Baby overdoses on dad’s heroin while sleeping in bed with him, police say

NEW YORK — A 1-year-old girl overdosed on heroin  belonging to her dad while sleeping in his bed in their New York City home, prosecutors said.

The girl and her brother, 2, were in their dad's bed when he was using heroin early Saturday, according to court documents obtained by WPX. Some heroin spilled onto the bed and the baby girl ingested it.

"I was using heroin in the bed before my kids laid down," Bronx resident Edgardo Rodriguez, 20, told police, court records show. "My kids were there. Some of it spilled onto the bed. It made a mess. I went to sleep. I don't know how my daughter got in contact with the residue on the bed because I was high."

The children's grandmother and father noticed she was having trouble breathing around 8 a.m. and rushed the girl to the hospital, officials said. She was unresponsive by the time they arrived at St. Barnabas Hospital.

She was administered three doses of naloxone and placed on a Narcan drip. Doctors later transported her to Montefiore Medical Center, where she remains in intensive care.

A white powdery substance was found on the comforter of the bed inside the Bronx apartment, according to court documents. Rodriguez also had a clear plastic bag filled with a white, powdery substance in his pants pocket. He told police it was heroin.

Rodriguez was charged with reckless endangerment, criminal possession of a controlled substance and endangering the welfare of a child.

A second baby also overdosed in the Bronx over the weekend. Her parents found a plastic bag in her mouth. No charges have been filed in that case.