RICHMOND, Va. — The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) continues to accept applications for its cooling assistance program.
To qualify, the household must have a child under 6-years-old, a person with disabilities, or an adult age 60 or older who meet the programs income and eligibility requirements.
The maximum gross monthly income for a one-person household is $1,287 and $2,633 for a household of four.
“This program serves to provide eligible, low income families with the necessary assistance to stay safe this summer,” VDSS Commissioner Margaret Ross Schultze said. “Elevated temperatures inside the home can exacerbate medical conditions and create life-threatening situations for vulnerable citizens. I encourage all who are eligible to apply.”
Cooling assistance can be used for:
- Payment of electric bills to operate cooling equipment,
- Payment of security deposits for electricity operate cooling equipment,
- Repair of a central air conditioning system or heat pump,
- Purchase of a whole-house fan, including ceiling or attic fan
- Purchase and installation of a window unit air conditioner for households without a working one.
Those eligible may qualify for more than one type of assistance.
The application deadline is August 15.
How to Apply
Option 2: Bypass eligibility screening and submit an application manually. Fill out the appropriate application below and return it to your local department of social services:
The program served more than 80,000 Virginia households last year.