Problem Solvers on Facebook
ENTER NOW: Win $600 on CBS 6 at 6:30 a.m. this week

Man exonerated 8 years after assassin confessed to murders

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Davontae Sanford has spent more than eight years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit. He knew he was innocent, and his lawyers say that police should have too.

In 2007, four people were killed on Runyon Street in Detroit, Michigan.

Witnesses said that Sanford’s voice sounded similar to one of the shooter’s voices, according to documents filed by Sanford’s lawyers. Police questioned the then-14-year-old.

Sanford “confessed after several hours of police interrogation over the course of two days,” the Innocence Project at the University of Michigan said. Sanford said he attempted to recant his confession.

He later plead guilty in the middle of trial “once he realized his defense attorney was not going to do anything to defend him.”

Two weeks after he was sentenced, a hit man confessed to the murders, according to court documents.

The assassin led police to a gun, and ballistic tests confirmed it was the weapon used in the Runyon Street killings. He also said that Sanford had nothing to do with the crime.

Still, Sanford remained incarcerated.

That, however, is about to change. Come Wednesday, he’ll be a free man.

Sanford’s pro bono defense team worked tirelessly to appeal his conviction. The case went to the Michigan Supreme Court, only to be dismissed because it was filed under the wrong type of claim, according to public defender Valerie Newman.

His exoneration came after Michigan State Police decided last year to reinvestigate the case. They recently submitted a report to the prosecutor’s office that recommended perjury charges against the Detroit officer who allegedly fabricated a version of Sanford’s guilty plea and assured him that he could go home if he confessed to the crimes.

Sanford, now 23, is about to become a free man per the order of Wayne County Circuit Judge Brian Sullivan. Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy has also agreed to dismiss all charges and will not re-try him.

“Finally I am able to share the good news that has been burning a hole through my soul not to tell!!!! My brother is finally coming home, thank you Jesus,” Sanford’s sister, Deshonda Davis wrote on Facebook Tuesday.

“I doubt if I get any sleep tonight, tomorrow will absolutely be the best day of my life. Thank you everyone for all the love, prayers, & support. God this feeling is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!”

David Moran, the Director of the Innocence Project at University of Michigan who was a part of Sanford’s defense team, has mixed feelings about the exoneration.

“I’m very excited, but very sad that Davontae lost eight and a half years of this life,” Moran told CNN.

Moran called Sanford’s case the perfect storm of a bad police investigation by the Detroit Police Department and poor defense by his assigned attorneys.

Valerie Newman worked on Sanford’s case for years.

“When you work for years to shine light on an injustice and your work comes to fruition in a positive manner it’s extremely gratifying,” Newman told CNN.