This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
RICHMOND, Va - Gabrielle Tenney, of Savvy and Well with Gabrielle, cooked up a flavorful and healthy version of Hawaiian Style Chicken Pad Thai. Gabrielle uses fresh ingredients right down to the sweet chili sauce to cut out unwanted processed and fatty foods. After her recent travels to Thailand, she returned to the states with some fresh ideas and recipes to share. For more information visit online at http://www.savvyandwell.com/.
Pad Thai Hawaiian Style
Can be made vegan by omitting fish sauce (use salt instead) and egg. Gluten free since it is made with rice noodles or cabbage and quinoa.
Pad Thai Sauce
· ½ cup rice vinegar (or white vinegar)
· ¼ cup water with 2 Tablespoons chia, soaked 10 min.
· ⅓ cup deglet noor dates (cheaper than medjool), rough chop
· 2 Tablespoons organic coconut palm sugar
· 3 tablespoons fish sauce
· 1 tablespoon thai chilies
· 5 cloves garlic
· 1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
· 1 3-inch piece of ginger, rough chopped
· 2 teaspoons paprika
· 3 tablespoon curry powder
· 2 teaspoons cayenne (omit if you don't like spice)
· ½ cup water
For the Stir Fry
· 1 tablespoon coconut oil
· 1 bunch green onion, white part only cut into 2 inch pieces
· 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
· 1 red onion, sliced
· 1 head broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
· 1 zucchini, sliced into strips
· 2 carrots, sliced into strips
· 1 cup cilantro leaves, rough chopped
· ¼ cup macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped
· ½ lime
· 1 egg
· Protein of choice. I like shrimp, fresh white fish, or chicken with this.
· Rice noodles soaked in water overnight
Instructions For the Sauce:
1. Place your rice vinegar, chia soaked in water, dates, sugar, fish sauce, thai chilies and garlic in a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Bring to a simmer for 3-5 minutes then turn off heat. Add to your blender.
2. Add the ginger, lemongrass, paprika, curry powder, and cayenne into the blender and blend until smooth 1-2 minutes.
For the Stir Fry
1. Get wok hot over medium-high heat and add coconut oil. Then add onion, red bell pepper, green onion tips to wok and saute 2 minutes. Then add broccoli, zucchini, carrots and saute 2 minutes.
2. Add the noodles, sauce and crack an egg into it. Shake it around and add ¼ cup water if you need to. You want it saucy not dry.
3. Through in half of your cilantro and squeeze your ½ lime and toss.
4. Top with toasted macadamia nuts.
For your Protein
1. Simmer the cooked and sliced chicken breast in the sauce since it is delicious.
2. It may also be nice to blacken a piece of white fish like wahoo, snapper, rockfish, etc. with the same spices that go into the sauce, sear and cook until desired.