2014 Richmond Marathon Closures and Parking Info
RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) – Yes, it really has been a year since the last Richmond Marathon. In no time multiple streets will begin closing and you need to know the lay of the land so you can avoid frustration and delay.
Thing get started Thursday, November 13, from 5 -9 p.m., when race packet pickup opens at Arthur Ashe Athletic Center on Boulevard. Pick up continues Friday, from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m..
The early Saturday morning road closures begin slipping into place starting at 4 a.m. Saturday, when you’re either tucked away dreaming (of being a runner mayhaps), or stumbling home from a late night out.
Here is the marathon course, and you can view the Half Marathon and 8K race maps here.
The marathon, half marathon and 8k courses all start near 6th & Broad Streets and end on a downhill slope (that’s kind) at 5th & Tredegar Street at Brown’s Island and the Canal Walk on the riverfront.
All roads start re-opening by 4 p.m. at the latest. We experimented with a helpful chart to navigate the closures (You can view it in more detail by clicking on it to open in another window.)
There will also be numerous and frequent lane closures along the Marathon, Half Marathon and 8k routes, including closures on: Broad Street, North Boulevard, Monument Avenue, Grove Avenue, Maple Avenue, Cary Street Road, River Road, Scottview Drive, Forest Hill Avenue, Semmes Avenue, the Lee Bridge, Belvidere Street, West Main Street, Hermitage Road, Fauqier Avenue, Brook Road.
Motorists are advised to use extreme caution when entering these roadways or making turns across the runners’ paths along these roadways.
- 5th Street will be closed from Broad St to Tredegar St starting 4:00am to 4:00pm
- Broad Street (both eastbound and westbound) between 5th and 11th Streets will be closed to traffic from 4am to 10am. Westbound traffic will be detoured north onto 11th Street and west on Leigh Street.
- Broad Street (both eastbound and westbound) between 5th Street and N. Boulevard will be closed from 6 to 9am. Eastbound traffic will be detoured north on Sheppard Street, east on Marshall Street, north on the Boulevard, east on Leigh Street, south on 10th Street, east on Marshall Street, south on 12thStreet back to Broad Street.
- Grace Street from Allen Ave. to 3rd Street will be closed from 6am to 3pm.
- 3rd Street from Broad Street to Cary Street will be closed from 6am to 3pm.
- Mulberry Street between Broad St. and Monument Ave. will be closed from 6 to 9am for the HCA Virginia 8K.
- Grace Street will be closed between Boulevard and Allen Ave. from 6 to 9am for the HCA Virginia 8K.
- Lombardy Street between Brook Rd. and Monument Ave will be closed from 7am to 3pm.
- North Boulevard northbound from Broad St. to Hermitage Rd. will be closed from 7 to 10am for the McDonald’s Half Marathon.
- Hermitage Road northbound from Boulevard to Pope Ave will be closed from 7 to 10am for the McDonalds Half Marathon.
- Brookland Parkway eastbound from Hermitage Rd. to Lamont St. will be closed from 7 to 10am for the McDonald’s Half Marathon
- Bellvue Avenue from Hermitage Rd to Bryan Park entrance will be closed from 7AM to 10AM for the McDonald’s Half Marathon.
- Monument Avenue westbound between Mulberry and Westmoreland will be closed from 7:30 to 9:30am.
- Westmoreland between Monument Ave and Grove Ave will be closed from 7:30am to 10am.
- Grove Avenue westbound between Commonwealth and Maple will be closed from 7:30 to 10:00am.
- Maple Avenue from Grove to Cary Street will be closed from 7:30am to 10:00am
- The Huguenot Bridge will be closed to all traffic from 8:00am to 11:00am. Northbound traffic on Huguenot Road will be detoured north from Huguenot Road onto Chippenham Parkway to the Willey Bridge.
- Riverside Dr. will be closed from the Huguenot Bridge to Scottview Drive from 6am to Noon.
- Forest Hill Ave. westbound from Roanoke St. to Hathaway Rd. will be closed from 8 to 11:30am.
- Semmes Ave. Westbound from Cowardin Ave. to Roanoke St. will be closed from 8:30am to Noon
- Belvidere Street northbound at Grace Street will be closed from 7am to 3pm. The recommended detour will be east on Byrd Street to the Downtown Expressway eastbound to I-95 northbound.
- West Main Street, from Belvidere to Boulevard will be closed from 9:00am 1:00pm. Westbound traffic Main St will be detoured North on Belvidere, East on Franklin, and South on 1st Street to the Westbound Downtown Expressway.
- Belvidere Street southbound between Broad and Grace Streets will be closed from 7am to 3pm. The recommended detour for southbound Belvidere Street will be onto I-95 southbound just north of Leigh Street
- The southbound exit ramp from the Powhite Parkway to Forest Hill Avenue and the northbound entrance ramp from westbound Forest Hill Avenue onto the Powhite Parkway will be closed to traffic from 8am until approximately 11am.
To print out a PDF of this map, click here.
The Start & Finish lines are located only six blocks apart. It is recommended that 8k runners park near the start to allow for more parking near the finish for marathoners and half marathoners. Here is a partial listing of the parking decks/lots open and offering special rates on Race Day:
Parking Near the Start (recommended for 8k entrants)
3rd & Marshall
5th & Marshall
7th & Marshall
8th & Marshall (surface lot)
5th & Broad (surface lot)
8th & Grace/Franklin
Parking Near the Finish
James Center (10th & Canal)
3rd & Main (surface lot)
4th & Main
4th & Cary (surface lot)
12th & Canal
14th & Cary
8th & Main
8th & Cary
12th & Canal
14th & Cary
15th & Cary
Virginia & Canal